You're invited to attend the Grand Opening of the James River Ecology School
Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:00AM—4:00PM
All morning boat shuttles are full.
Registration Closes Noon on Friday, April 12.
Please join the James River Association and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in a family-friendly event to celebrate the grand opening of the James River Ecology School on Presquile National Wildlife Refuge.
This day-long event will include:
- An opportunity to explore Presquile and the new Ecology School facilities
- Guided tours of the green infrastructure by Patrick Farley, Architect
- Guided nature hikes and birding tours of Presquile
- Guided canoe trips on Presquile’s tidal creeks
- A BBQ lunch reception with remarks by notable speakers
- An introduction to Ecology School educational programming available to school and youth groups in the watershed
- Information for educators about education programs offered at the Ecology School
- Live animals showcased by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Hands-on Educational Activities for youth (at and around the Menenak Center):
- 9:30 - 10:15 Hidden Foundations:
- Embark on a nature walk and return to the Lab to study the hidden foundations of youth-collected natural objects
- 10:30-11:00 Cricket Crawl:
- Join us for insect collection, identification, and games
- 11:15-12:00 Water Quality Testing:
- How clean is the James? Join us for water quality testing and aquatic critter collection from the Presquile dock.
- 1:30- 2:15 Low Tide Walk:
- Learn about tide cycles and walk along the banks for the Tidal James to discover what oddities the tide has rolled in.
- 2:30 - 3:15 Plankton Study:
- Collect and study a plankton sample while learning about the important role these microscopic organisms play in aquatic food webs and in the health of our river.
To attend the James River Ecology School grand opening please RSVP using this form. Please note that the Presquile National Wildlife Refuge is an island and we will be offering boat shuttles from 4700 Bermuda Hundred Road and from 501 Shirley Plantation Road. Registration is required, registration closes Noon on Friday, April 12. When using the registration form please indicate your desired shuttle time. View a map of the area. The last mainland pick up will be at 3:00 pm and the last shuttle to leave the island will be at 4:00 pm. JRA will provide a golf cart to help transport visitors with limited mobility to and from the boat dock and around the island on the trails.